Gambles Hardware & Appliances

Gambles Store on Main Street

954 Main Street was originally part of the Chinn and Rogers Block, which was destroyed in the 1891 fire.

In 1926, Walter Chinn built this modern building to house his confectionary store and newsstand, as well as the office of the North Shore Line which provided bus services to the Chicago, North Shore, and Milwaukee Railroad stations. 

In 1934, Rudy Eckert opened his franchise hardware business, Gamble’s Store, in this location which he ran for over thirty-eight years. It was known as “The Friendly Store.”

The upstairs hall once housed the Old Fellows Lodge and Christian Science worship services were held on the second floor.

The Chinn Block has also been home to Foth Confectionary, Metropolitan Motor Coach offices, the Antioch News, Sonshine Books, and the Humidor among others.

This was the only ghost sign that was still visible at the start of this process. The goal of this sign repair was to make the painting more visible at street level so that it can remain for another 90 years.

The interior of the hardware store