Scott’s Dairy

891 Main Street currently houses Something Sweet, which inspired the connection to the historic Antioch business, Scott’s Dairy.

Walter Scott owned and operated Scott’s Dairy in Antioch for many years before working as the Superintendent of Public Works and a trustee for the Village. In 1951, he became Chief of Police of Antioch, where he remained until his retirement in 1963.

Photograph of Scott’s Dairy bottles

The first building at 891 Main Street was lost in the 1903 fire and contained a restaurant and bakery. The new brick building housed shoe sales for the first fifty years of its existence—Chicago Footwear Company, Rhodes’ Shoes, Antioch Shoe Shop, and Darnaby’s Shoes to name a few. The store once had a fluoroscopic x-ray machine that showed people the bones of their feet while wearing shoes to check the fit. It was later removed after the dangers of radiation were realized.

Other businesses that were housed here include a fine gift shop called The General Store, a children’s clothing store named Choosey Child, Village Stitchery, and now Something Sweet. In 1997, it was the building awarded with the “Chicago’s Finest Painted Lady Competition'' for the commercial buildings category for the Northwest suburbs.

Police Chief Walter Scott in Reeves Drug Store

Taylor’s Shoes on Main Street