William’s Brothers Department Store
In 1817, the Williams brothers, Daniel and Edgar, ran their store out of the King building at 904 Main Street.
In March 1891, the brothers opened a large, modern department store built immediately to the south at 910 Main Street. Together they operated Williams Brothers until 1921 when Daniel transitioned his share of the business to his step-son, Wilbur Reese Williams. The name changed to Williams Department Store after 54 years. Wilbur managed the business and after a time, his son, Harold Edgar, became a partner. Unfortunately, Harold was only with the company for under two years, dying at the age of 30.
Harold’s sons, Dean and Roger, were next to manage the store. Dean, a professional actor, who performed in USO shows during WWI, redesigned the storefront based on his experiences in New York City. Again disaster struck, Dean died in an automobile accident in August, 1959 while driving his new Jaguar, leaving Roger to run the store.
Many other businesses operated at this location including Williams Hardware Store, True Value Hardware, and The Emporium Antiques. For more than 130 years, this location has offered Village residents and visitors the same staple items.
Williams Brother’s Store on Main Street
Williams Brother’s Store on Main Street
All images courtesy of the Lakes Region Historical Society.